Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Passion

Perhaps writer's block is a condition of being a better listener than a preacher? If there is one thing that I know for sure, if you want to be successful at something, you must have passion. So, given that I don't have a passion for writing, I must compromise and find things to write about that I have passion for.

In this exercise, I'm going to explore the things that I am passionate about. I don't plan to worry about editing for grammar, so I hope nobody posts a critique about my poor writing skills.

1) My wife. There is nothing in this world that makes my clock tick more. From the moment I met her to this very day, I have a very deep commitment to "giving" to this woman. I'm not sure that words really explain my passion for this woman.

2) My children. I don't think I knew what it meant to have loved completely until I experienced the miracle of creating life. In my days as a Director at a Children's center, I never realized that I had such a limited capacity to love. It wasn't until I held my daughter in my hands that I realized the depth of love that all other parents have tried and failed to describe. One may find a deep, deep love in something in this world, but I find it difficult to believe that anything on any level (physical, metaphysical, spiritual, material, blah, blah) can hold a flame to creating and caring for that life.

3) My religion. I'm not an evangelistic kind of guy. I know that us "Christians" are supposed to be, but I just have to go with my gut. I prefer to live and let live in this particular category. I'm not that vocal about my love of God, His Son, and the Spirit, but I do my very best to be driven by the love that God has given us. Every single thing I do (except sin), is engulfed in an unconscious wrapping of God's love. My love of God is involved in every other passion that I have in life. Even...

4) Health and Fitness. I have spent years developing my understanding of this subject. Although, very little of my development has been formal teaching. I do feel that I have a good start in what will likely be a life-long pursuit to gain knowledge to live a healthier life. Knowledge alone isn't enough; duh, as I have to "live" in a healthy manner as well. I plan to spend the rest of my life raising the bar.

Well, I've run out of steam. I feel a cold coming on, so I'm going to get downstairs to my gym and wake up some white blood cells.

There are many things that I'm very passionate about, but this is a good start.

No comments: